COVID-19 travel alert: New Zealand is currently at Alert Level 4. Learn more.
In 1870 the Armed Constabulary built a redoubt here for defence against Te Kooti; there was never any fighting here, and it was abandoned in 1885. A pumice magazine building stands in one corner of the redoubt. The Hall (1881) nearby was opened as a theatre, and converted to a courthouse in 1887. The hall is now the home of the Taupo Kohanga Reo (language nest). Outside viewing is available at all times.