5. Stay in a Kombi cabin at the Motuoapa Holiday Park and spot boaties coming in and out of the impressive marina.
6. Kayak the Kuratau River into birdsong-filled bush, play tennis at the village court, and top off the day with a wine in the sun at the local winery.
7. Enjoy a long lunch at Lakeland House, perched on the southern shores of Lake Taupo.
8. Discover bubbling mud on the family-friendly Tokaanu Thermal Walk followed by a rejuvenating soak at the adjacent thermal pools.
9. Hear the melodious chimes of native birds along the many short walks between the lakeside settlements of Kuratau, Omori and Pukawa.
10. Stop at the Tokaanu Historic Wharf for a picture-perfect photo, where black swans, mallards, paradise shelducks, fernbirds, spotless crakes, pukeko and bitterns gather in the calm lake shallows.