COVID-19 travel alert: New Zealand is currently at Alert Level 4. Learn more.
2. Pack up a picnic and head to Lake Rotopounamu. Circumnavigate the lake and enjoy a swim in the emerald-coloured waters and a picnic on the white sand beach.
3. Discover impressive waterfalls, alpine vegetation and breath-taking views from any of the Whakapapa Village short walks – perfect for the whole family.
5. Stay in a Kombi cabin at the Motuoapa Holiday Park and spot boaties coming in and out of the impressive marina.
10. Stop at the Tokaanu Historic Wharf for a picture-perfect photo, where black swans, mallards, paradise shelducks, fernbirds, spotless crakes, pukeko and bitterns gather in the calm lake shallows.
13. Ride or walk the 15km Tongariro River Trail – a scenic looped track for walking and mountain biking.
14. Enjoy some educational fun at the Tongariro National Trout Centre, with the chance for kids to catch their own trout and see the beautiful Whio (native blue duck) up close at the whio creche.
16. Korohe Horse Treks offer a wonderful day of family-fun, criss-crossing native forest, streams and rivers on horses.
17. Take a short walk or overnight hike in the wild and untouched Kaimanawa Forest Park.
19. Soak in rejuvenating mineral-rich thermal hot pools.
20. Explore the more than 220km of mountain bike trails around the region – from the Huka Trails, to Craters Mountain Bike Park, the epic Great Lake Trails and the Great Lake Walkway, there’s a ride for every age and ability.
21. Get an adrenaline buzz! Jump out of a plane or off a bungy ledge, jet boat the mighty Waikato River, race go-karts, fly 1,000ft above Lake Taupo on a parasail – if you’ve got the nerve, Taupo has the test for it.
26. Enjoy fish and chips from the local Kinloch Store to eat on the beach whilst the kids play with toys from the public beach library and toy shed.
27. Ride the Great Lake Trails. Four sections – Waihaha (shuttle required to start), K2K, W2K and the new Otaketake trail are directly accessible from the village. Finish with a cold brew at the Tipsy Trout.
28. Explore the Whangamata Stream Walk – a relaxing 7km walk or cycle along a beautiful running stream. Perfect for the whole family and buggy friendly.
29. Enjoy a local brew or dinner at the charming Tipsy Trout café and restaurant.
31. Explore the western bays by boat or with a local fishing charter.
32. Discover local artisans in their home studios and take a piece of Kinloch home with you.
33. Get up late and enjoy breakfast at the Bus Stop Café – a unique converted 1972 Bedford bus right on the water’s edge.
34. Pack up a picnic or take the family camping at one of the lakeside campgrounds. Enjoy lazy days swimming, boating or fishing at one of the local reservoir lakes.
35. Explore the beautiful Pureora Forest Park on foot or mountain bike.
36. Walk or ride the Waikato River Trails – the many swing bridges are a highlight.
37. Tee off at the scenic local golf course nestled on the shores of Lake Maraetai.