New season deals you'll love... View deals
1. Ride the impressive Sky Waka gondola to the Knoll Ridge Chalet for lunch and take in one of the scenic short walks.
2. Pack up a picnic and head to Lake Rotopounamu. Circumnavigate the lake and enjoy a swim in the emerald-coloured waters and a picnic on the white sand beach.
3. Discover impressive waterfalls, alpine vegetation and breath-taking views from any of the Whakapapa Village short walks – perfect for the whole family.
4. If you want to avoid the crowds, the Tama Lakes hike is an excellent alternative to the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
5. Stay in a Kombi cabin at the Motuoapa Holiday Park and spot boaties coming in and out of the impressive marina.
6. Kayak the Kuratau River into birdsong-filled bush, play tennis at the village court, and top off the day with a wine in the sun at the local winery.
7. Enjoy a long lunch at Lakeland House, perched on the southern shores of Lake Taupo.
10. Stop at the Tokaanu Historic Wharf for a picture-perfect photo, where black swans, mallards, paradise shelducks, fernbirds, spotless crakes, pukeko and bitterns gather in the calm lake shallows.
11. White-water raft through dramatic gorges and the more than 60 rapids on the Tongariro River. There are trips for every family member and level of adventurousness.
12. Try your luck landing a shining wild trout fly fishing on the Tongariro River.
13. Ride or walk the 15km Tongariro River Trail – a scenic looped track for walking and mountain biking.
14. Enjoy some educational fun at the Tongariro National Trout Centre, with the chance for kids to catch their own trout and see the beautiful Whio (native blue duck) up close at the whio creche.
15. Visit the Volcanic Activity Centre at the Turangi i-SITE for an interactive exploration into the world of volcanoes, earthquakes and geothermal activity.
16. Korohe Horse Treks offer a wonderful day of family-fun, criss-crossing native forest, streams and rivers on horses.
17. Take a short walk or overnight hike in the wild and untouched Kaimanawa Forest Park.
19. Soak in rejuvenating mineral-rich thermal hot pools.
20. Explore the more than 220km of mountain bike trails around the region – from the Huka Trails, to Craters Mountain Bike Park, the epic Great Lake Trails and the Great Lake Pathway, there’s a ride for every age and ability.
21. Get an adrenaline buzz! Jump out of a plane or off a bungy ledge, jet boat the mighty Waikato River, race go-karts, fly 1,000ft above Lake Taupo on a parasail – if you’ve got the nerve, Taupo has the test for it.
23. Take a scenic walk along the edge of New Zealand’s longest river, the mighty Waikato, to the iconic Huka Falls.
24. Go shopping! Discover galleries, gift shops, boutique design stores and artist studios offering a creative edit of gorgeous items for you and your home.
26. Enjoy fish and chips from the local Kinloch Store to eat on the beach whilst the kids play with toys from the public beach library and toy shed.
28. Explore the Whangamata Stream Walk – a relaxing 7km walk or cycle along a beautiful running stream. Perfect for the whole family and buggy friendly.
29. Enjoy a local brew or dinner at the charming Tipsy Trout café and restaurant.
31. Explore the western bays by boat or with a local fishing charter.
32. Discover local artisans in their home studios and take a piece of Kinloch home with you.
33. Get up late and enjoy breakfast at the Bus Stop Café – a unique converted 1972 Bedford bus right on the water’s edge.
34. Pack up a picnic or take the family camping at one of the lakeside campgrounds. Enjoy lazy days swimming, boating or fishing at one of the local reservoir lakes.
35. Explore the beautiful Pureora Forest Park on foot or mountain bike.
36. Walk or ride the Waikato River Trails – the many swing bridges are a highlight.
37. Tee off at the scenic local golf course nestled on the shores of Lake Maraetai.